Friday, March 22, 2013

B.L. Night


Today, I was greeted with the cover of Barbara Lynn's fabulous Jamie LP over at BB's Blues All Kinds who is playing »I'm Sorry I Met You« -- I only hope that that doesn't reflect any recent personal experience of his!!? But such unhappy thoughts apart ... this really made my day! So I thought nothing better for today than make it a Barbara Lynn night. And you know what? The stereo version he's playing really has the horn section featuring prominently whereas in my mono version of the Jamie LP (which is happily residing in a LP sleeve adorned with the word STEREO written in multi-colored capital letters ...!) the horn section is more or less buried in the recording. The contrast is really elucidating, so I'll play my LP version below and you can compare it with the stereo version over at Blues All Kinds. For good measure, I added a dash of groove with Barbara Lynn's version of Jimmy Reed's »You Don't Have To Go«. My copy of the LP is not exactly in mint condition, but it still plays well ... and maybe you've noticed that Divshare wasn't working properly lately, the songs loading very slowly and kind of stuttering ... let's hope they fix it soon. Listen here:

Barbara Lynn: »I'm Sorry I Met You« / »You Don't Have To Go« from the Jamie LP # JLP-3023 (1962):

* * *

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous!! This album has been a favorite for nigh on 30 years now and "I'm Sorry I Met You" has long been my favorite track on it. I think your mono sounds better than my stereo. I also have the LP somewhere with "S-T-E-R-E-O" emblazoned across the front of the jacket but I haven't listened in a while so I can't remember if it's really stereo or just mono like yours. What I do know is the album has plenty of great quirky songs like "Dina and Petrina" and "Letter to Mommy and Daddy," sloppy Huey Meaux production with out of tune horns, and a great cover pic. And Jimmy Reed covers are always in good taste! —BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, this album is also a favorite of mine! Gonna write another post tonight ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to your next post. . . . By the way, I forgot to mention: no personal heartbreak apart from everyday "living in the U.S.A."! I've just always liked the song from the piano comping that starts it out, Barbara Lynn's wistful vocal, and the wobbly horns that end the record.

      Delete